Thursday, April 3, 2008

From Carleen

Some of my best memories of Karen and Jerry was when our families lived in Enumclaw. Megan and I were really young when we met and grew up together. We did everything with the O’Neil’s….they became our Washington family. I remember stuff like backyard BBQ’s, Thanksgiving dinners, birthday parties, breakfast at the farm, my dad and Jerry giving us kids the best firework shows on our street, camping trips and hiking in the Cascades. I’ll never forget the horrible smell of hops fumigating my parents house because Jerry, my dad and other local buddies were working on their latest brew. I even remember breakfast at McCord AFB once to see where Jerry worked and playing on the fire trucks. Oh and we can’t forget the night that I got driven home by the local police at the ripe age of 16. The cops knocked on my parents door and found their friends Karen and Jerry over for a visit. Needless to say the police stepped in the house to catch up with the O’Neil’s and to let me “sweat it out” in the police car. When my mom and dad left to go retrieve the car, Jerry just giggled and Karen kind of gave me a lecture on my stupid behavior. Anytime me and my parents were downtown we would always stop by the local police station to visit Karen where she was the dispatcher. But I would have to say the memory that sticks out the most in my mind (and that I often think about) is when I was learning to drive a stick shift. Karen and Jerry lived on a farm and had plenty of property that I could practice in…..and boy did I need it. First gear was a killer and I had the worst time just trying to get the truck going. I was stalling out, spitting up dirt and bouncing all over the pasture and all I can remember is Jerry and my dad at the fence cracking up calling me Mario Andretti. I had the nickname Mario for quite awhile after that. I think of that memory often, especially when I have to get behind the wheel of a stick shift.

Most of my memories were from my childhood and as I grew up our families moved around and weren’t together as much. By the time I was in my 20’s our families really didn’t have much contact anymore. Over the years I did keep in contact with Megan and would occasionally see Karen and Jerry at Makayla’s soccer games and such. I may not have a close relationship with them now but the whole O’Neil clan knows they will always be family to me.

Jerry, may you rest in peace! Your smile and laughter will be missed by so many! I was so blessed to have you as a second dad and miss you. Stand proud that you leave behind a strong and truly great family who has circled around Karen and each other with love and support. I love you and plan to see you again someday. We can catch up on old times and you can teach me to brew some beer.

Karen, continue to mend. There is no doubt in my mind you will recover completely. Your stubbornness, your “take charge” attitude and your wonderful loving family will see to it that you do. I just want you to know a little something too. You are the one and only person who still calls me Carleen. I don’t even let my own family use that name. I never asked you to stop because I knew I didn’t even have a choice. I knew no matter what, you would always call me Carleen, whether I liked it or not! For that I love you and that is what makes you so special to me! You never back down and always stand for what you want. Continue to do so and I will see you real soon.

Love always,
Carleen

No comments: