Tuesday, April 8, 2008

From Kathi Jenkins

If not for Jerry (and a little help from a strategically placed light) I’d have never spent hours on a paint bucket in a dark room drinking Lord only knows what, sharing life stories with Meg while our husbands sat for hours fetching Krispy Kreme doughnuts we no longer wanted when they returned.

Makayla and Marcus were small and Megan and I far too stuck up to introduce ourselves while our children peered across the street at each other. Jerry took the lead and Marcus and Makayla became fast friends. He was our first contact; the rest you can say is history.

The countless stories, the warmth and love from a man lost far too soon. My thoughts and prayers are with the family my second family. I will miss him and I’m here for all of you whatever the time, whatever the reason.

I wrote a message for another man lost too soon just shy of a year ago and today while sitting at my desk thinking of what’s yet to come and what has past, I opened it for the first time since reading it at his service and I thought much of this applies in a different way.

The message I wrote was about talking to an angel. At any moment someone can say something and suddenly I’m singing some crazy tune. That day all I could think of was the song “How Do You Talk to An Angel”.

There really is no answer to that question. We all have our own beliefs and thoughts but I can honestly say this, I’ve had the privilege several times of speaking to angel’s right here, on earth, living among us. I’m unsure why we’re so blessed to live among these people but I can say without reservation that Jerry was is, one of those special angels on earth.

Jerry had a heart so full of love it poured out and touched everyone who surrounded him. He listened and unlike most of us he actually heard what you were saying. Like others before him he placed his time on hold to listen, to assist and to love you through whatever you needed him for.

Just look at this blog, and see to the outpour of love and support. We know he touched us all in so many different ways, ways special to each and every one of us. The void may be vast but the memories, the stories; the love will last all of our lifetimes and will touch the lives of those yet to come.

Someday we will meet Jerry again. We’ll see that sparkle that I’m sure only angels like him have. We’ll hear those strong opinions that have made us chuckle time and time again. The same opinions that have molded many of the lives Jerry touched.

I, like all the others will miss Jerry but as I said in that message not so long ago, I’m comforted to know he is in a place much more deserving of an angel. Waiting with open arms to greet us when we arrive.

No comments: