Monday, April 21, 2008

MY AMAZING DAD


MY AMAZING DAD

Some of the things that made my dad special may have been small to some, but as I look back they are so huge to me. He was such a patient man and he took the quality time necessary to give us what we needed.

I can remember lying on the couch with him about 3 years old, all dressed up in mom’s negligee both of us ‘reading’ a book. I have a photo of that moment and it is one I have cherished through the years. Another one I like to look at often, is of me at about that same age, dad is holding me up on his knee as I cry with another of many skinned knees.

When I got a few years older and dad was mowing lawns on his days between shifts at the fire station, he would take me along to chat with his elderly customers. They all had some kind of treat like Popsicles, ice-cream, and candy. I was happy with that but as an adult I realize he truly cared and was proud to have me along.

As kids I remember going out to the base to visit dad while he was on shift. Each and every time he would meet us out front with that cherub smile, strut us around proudly so everyone knew we there. Then we would beg to ‘spray the water’ which was driving us out on the tarmac in the biggest fire truck there and shoot that water, sound the sirens and lights while we giggled jumping up and down.

When I got older he took me along to the Roy Rodeo to watch his fire fighting team compete in the ‘cow milking’ contest. I think they only one once, but it was so exciting to stand at the fence and tell others around me that ‘that’s my dad out there.’

Through the years I have been giving dad a hard time about an incident at the Puyallup Fair when I was 15. My friend, Jamie, and I drank some beer in the parking lot and got caught by police officers. When our parents were called, our options were to pay $15 fine and that would be that. But dad wanted to teach me a lesson, wouldn’t pay the fine, and I was sent to Raymond Hall. I cried through the whole thing and the judge took one look at me and said ‘she doesn’t belong here’ It was probably the best learning experience in my entire youth. I thank dad for being a ‘hard ass’ and I love him that much more for truly caring, and I am so glad he knew how I truly feel.

Another very fond memory I will treasure is summers at Flaming Geyser Park. If you don’t know the area, you drive a few miles up through the park and float down the river on entertubes. Then you have to hike on the hot asphalt all the way back to your rig. My dad would drop us at the top, drive down to the bottom, pull out a book and wait for us to float down. I look back now and think about all the sacrifices he’s made through the years to make our lives special.

Mom has always said ‘any man can be a father, but it takes a very special man to be a dad’. ‘Big Jer’ is a perfect example of that. I will treasure each and every moment and memory I have with my dad. I don’t know why God took him from us but, I do know that dad would want us to take care of mom, be strong and lean on each other, and not dwell on the fact that he is gone, but remember all the wonderful things we shared as a family.

I am comforted to know that he has left this earth with so very many people who cared and loved him, and he will be in my heart always and forever. I love you dad and mom.

Your grateful daughter,

Mindy

No comments: